We believe each of our breeding dogs deserves their own loving family and home over the course of their breeding careers with Baldonnel Lane. In our Guardian Home program, the guardian family will raise and train a BLL dog throughout its breeding career, and then when he/she retires, they will remain your beloved family pet! If you’re interested in participating in our Guardian Home program, the information below is curated to help you determine if you’d be a good match.
We retain the breeding rights to the dog and require access to it a few times throughout the year for breeding, testing, and socialization.
For a female dog, she will visit us throughout the year to make sure she is familiar with our family, to be tested, and to breed with a male dog. She will also need to stay with us 1 week before her litter is due and until the puppies are weaned at approximately 6 weeks. Afterwards, she will return to your home and reconnect with the family (and treats) she knows and loves. A guardian female will have no more than four litters over the course of her breeding career, and we will cover all costs associated with breeding, birthing, and raising her puppies.
For a male dog, we will need to take him home with us for approved pairings, sometimes within just an hour’s notice. We will also need to access the Guardian dog at all times for reproductive related veterinary appointments.
Upon the dog’s retirement, we will cover the cost of having them spayed or neutered. Most females retire near four years old, while males need to be available a bit longer. Then they will remain in your home permanently as your beloved companion pet and real life teddy bear!
• Know the behaviors associated with intact male and female dogs (AKA recognize when an unneutered/unspayed dog is ready to breed)
• Understand that the dog is the property of Baldonnel Lane Labradoodles until their breeding career is completed, and that we will transfer ownership documentation to you only after they are spayed or neutered
• Provide the dog with lots of love and affection!
• Communication is key to a successful Guardian relationship. You must maintain an open line of communication with us about the dog's health, development, and condition at all times
• For breeding females, you must live within a two hour drive of Fort St. John, BC
• For breeding males, you must live within a one hour drive of Fort St. John, BC
• Keep the dog as an indoor pet, have a fenced-in yard, and always leash for outdoor ventures
• Maintain a schedule that does not require you to leave the dog home alone for long periods of time
• Puppy must attend a puppy manners course or a series of obedience classes prior to 6 months of age in order to help promote the socialization process
• Commit to good healthcare and feed the dog BLL approved, high-quality dog food
• Take the dog to all necessary vet and grooming appointments
Share in the excitement of seeing your dog’s offspring go on to make a difference in other people’s lives as loving family pets, therapy dogs, and service dogs!
You will receive a fully health tested dog that meets the highest standards of the WALA (read more on this topic here)
These pick of the litter puppies come at no cost to you! As “payment”, we ask that you raise him/her to our loving standards and commit to our methods of care and training during our Guardianship partnership
If you are interested in our guardian program, please fill out the application below and we will be in touch soon via email